Why is Deaf Ministry Important?
- 1,534 Deaf die every day without Christ; most have never seen Jesus’ name signed in their own language.
- Less than 2% of the Deaf know Jesus as their Lord and Savior
- Often oppressed and ignored, the Deaf are some of the least evangelized people in the World—including in North America
- Sign Languages have their own vocabulary, grammar, and syntax, so they don’t match word-for-word translations of a spoken language
- Most Deaf don’t have access to a Bible or even portions of Scripture because their language is visual and not based on written words
- To date, there are no completed Sign Language translations of the Bible. The ASLV (American Sign Language Version) is the closest to completion. It was started in the late 1970s and has a targeted completion date of 2020